Punjabi Garam Masala. Invest in a small spice grinder and make the required quantity of Garam Masala at home. The commercial varieties do not have the flavour and neither they use the right proportions as they need to bulk it up with the cheaper ingredients.
Garam Masala obtained: about 200 grams (about 8 oz.)
- 100 grams (about 4 oz.) coriander seeds
- 25 grams (about 1 oz.) each of cumin seeds
- 25 grams black pepper
- 15 grams (about Â½ oz.) Jeera or Shahjeera seeds
- 15 Grams Dry Ginger Powder
- 6 grams (about Â¼ oz.) each of black cardamoms
- 6 grams Cloves
- 4 grams (about Â¼ oz.) cinnamon
- 4 grams bay leaves
- Dry roast all the ingredients (except dry ginger) very lightly.
- Cool and dry grind to a powder along with the dry ginger.
- Store in an air tight bottle and use as required.
If you do not want to prepare Garam Masala at home then it is readily available in all Indian Grocery shops.