Zarda or Meethe Rice is a recipe which is served at auspicious occasions. Kesar(Saffron is added to this dish for a great colour and flavour)
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoon Ghee or cooking oil
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 Bayleaves
- 2 Kali Elaichi
- 4 Green cardamoms
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kishmish(Sultanas)
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 4 crushed Black Pepper corns(yes Kali mirch is added in a very small quantity, you can skip it if you like)
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 2 cups Water
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric( we prefer to use Turmeric to give the yellow colour, you can also use the yellow food colour if you like)
- Wash the rice and keep them soaked for about 15 minutes.
- Cook the rice in water, add Turmeric while cooking to make the rice yellow. ( Do not cook too much otherwise they will become mushy)
- Now take a non stick pan.
- Add Ghee and put it on medium heat
- Add the bay leaves, cloves, Black Elaichi, Green Elaichi and Cinnamon Stick
- Add the cooked rice and stir well.
- Add the sugar and stir well.
- Add the milk containing the dissolved Saffron in the rice and mix well.
- Add crushed kali mirch( Black pepper)
- Add the garnishing (kishmish, slivered almonds etc)