Chicken Tikka Masala essentially has Chicken Tikka – pieces of marinated chicken cooked in a Tandoor, then folded in a masala (spice mix) sauce. The sauce mainly consists of onions and tomatoes and some capsicum pieces. The gravy is thick and not flowy There is no set recipe as restaurants will have their own recipes. Here is a good one which you can follow at home easily.
- 500 grams of Chicken Breast Fillets – cubed
- 1 teaspoon Jeera (Cumin) Powder
- 2 teaspoons Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 pinch red food coloring ( if you can get Tandoori Powder or Paste then use 1 teaspoon of that -as it will add the colour as well as a lots of flavour.)
- 1 tablsepoon Lime Juice
- 6 tablespoons of Yoghurt(Dahi)
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Paste
- Some Ginger Julienne pieces for garnishing
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of green capsicum pieces
- 1 cup Water.
- oil for cooking
- 1 teaspoon Green Coriander leaves finely chopped – for garnishing
- 4 cloves
- 1 Bayleaf (Tej Patta)
- 1/4 teaspoon Garam Masala
- Take a mixing bowl.
- Add the yoghurt.
- Add Ginger and Garlic Paste ( use half the quantities and keep the remaining in the fridge for cooking)(
- Add Red Chilli Powder ( Add half the quantity)
- Add Coriander and Jeera Powder.( Add half the quantity)
- Add the lime juice.
- Mix well.
- Now add the chicken pieces in this marinade.( You can prick the chicken with a toothpick to allow better absorption of marinade)
- Cover the bowl with a clingwrap
- Keep this in the fridge overnight.
- As we are not going to use a Tandoor so we have 2 options
- Either fry the chicken in a pan or if you have a grill then grill it in the griller or a BBQ.
- Take some oil in a a pan and sear the chicken on high heat and then let it cook until done. Keep aside. (If using the Grill or BBQ then cook it until done.)
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and put it on medium heat.
- Add some oil and add the cloves and the Bay Leaf
- Now add the garlic paste
- Now add the onions and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add the Tomato pieces and cook till the mixture starts leaving the oil.
- Add the red chilli powder
- Add the Jeera Powder and stir for 2 minutes.
- Now add the cooked chicken pieces .
- Cook Well until the chicken is well mixed with the gravy.
- You might need to add some Water to correct the consistency you like.
- Add the salt and Garam Masala and cook for another 5 minutes on low heat
- Add the Ginger Julienes and Green Coriander to garnish.
TIP :Instead of cooking the chicken in the fry pan. This dish can also be done in a different fashion. The chicken can be grilled in a grill to get for 5 minutes and to finish the chicken off grill it on high to get the burnt marks.
TIP: Try to get Tandoori Paste or Tandoor Powder and add it in the marinade. If you are using the ready made paste or powder then go easy on the red chilli and salt as the ready made powder already has some chilli and salt in it.
Serve it with Naan, Rice or Roti