Gajar Ka Achar, Carrot Pickle without oil. Does not use any oil at all.
- 3 medium carrots peeled
- 1 medium caulifower stalks removed
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/4 Red Chilli Powder
- 1 cup Gur (jaggery) grated
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 1 cup white vinegar (Sirka)
- Wash the Carrots and cut them in 1 inche long sticks ( Similar to french fries)
- Spread them on a kitchen towel to dry.
- Once they are absolutely dry , put them in a big mixing bowl.
- Add chilli, salt, turmeric . Toss well. ( keep some chilli powder for later use)
- Transfer to a clean dry bowl,
- Keep in sun for 4 days.
- Warm up the vinegar in a pan.
- Add jaggery, stir.
- Heat further till vinegar is very hot and the Gur melts and dissolves in the vinegar.
- Let this vinegar solution cool down to room temperature.
- Add this to the carrots which you have been putting in the sun for 4 days.
- Transfer this mixture to a clean airthight glass jar.
- close lid tightly.
- Now put this jar in a warm but dark place for 5-6 days.
- Turn well with a spoon.
- Serve with rice and curry , or roti with curry.
This can last a month or so, do not use a wet spoon while serving otherwise it may get fungus.