Nimbu Ka Achar or Lime Pickle is full of Vitamin C
- 1 1\2 kg lime
- 250 g green chilies
- 2 liters. Mustard oil
- 1\2 cup. Salt
- 1cup aniseed (saunf)
- 1\4.cup turmeric
- 1 cup nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 cup fenugreek seeds (methre)
- 1/2 cup Red chili powder or (according to the taste).
- Wash the Limes and pat dry. Cut the Limes into half.
- Divide the salt into three parts. Place the lemons in a bowl, sprinkle one part of the salt, mix well , cover and leave to marinate over night.
- Next day drain out all the water released by Limes . Cover them and leave to marinate for one more day.
- Wash the green chilies and dry them properly. Slit the chilies carefully into half, leaving them still held together at the stalk. Place the green chilies in a separate bowl, sprinkle 2nd part of the salt, mix well, cover and leave to marinate for one day along with the Limes .
- Next day gently squeeze out all the water released by the lemons and green chilies, taking care not to squeeze the juice from the lemons.
- Heat mustard oil to smoking point, remove from heat and leave it to cool. Mix all the ingredients including the 3rd part of the salt, with enough oil just to bind the spices.
- Stuff the green chilies with half of the spice mixture. Rub the rest of the mixture over lemon pieces to coat them liberally.
- Place the Limes and chilies in an earthenware or glass jar, Mix thoroughly with hands. Pour in the remaining oil. The oil should cover the lemons and green chilies by about 2.5 cm (1 inch).
- Cover the jar with a muslin cloth and keep it in the sun.
- Stir the contents of the jar for the first two weeks at least once a day. Do this to ensure that all pieces are completely dipped in the oil.