Amrtirsari Choley Bhaturey (Curried Chick Peas with Fried Bread) is a signature dish in many punjabi restaurants. If you are visiting Amrtisar then this is the dish which you must try. It is quite rich and spicy and has a variety of flavours packed in it.
Ingredients for Choley
- 1 cup of Chick Peas (Kabuli Chana) (soaked overnight in warm water)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- ½” piece of Ginger (Adrak) (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Anvla whole or 1 teaspoon Anvla Powder or 1 Tea Bag (optional – this is to give the black colour , as in restaurants )
- ½ tsp. of Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp. of Red Chilli Powder ( to taste)
- ¼ tsp. of Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp. of Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp. of Cumin Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp. of Chana Masala
- 2 tsp. of Dry Mango Powder (Aamchoor Powder)
- 2 tbsp. of Cooking Oil
- 1/2 cup Tomato Paste
Ingredients for Bhaturey
- ½ cup of Potatoes (boiled & grated)
- ½ cup of All-Purpose Flour (Maida)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 ½ tsp. of Cooking Oil
- More Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
- 1 Onion (sliced) ( soaked in Vinegar or Lemon juice)
- 4 Lemon Wedges
- 2 Green Chilli – finely chopped
- Coriander – finely chopped
- Pressure cook the chick peas with theAnvla or Anvla Powder or Optionally use a tea tea bag for 3 whistles until they are soft. Drain and set aside. ( If using the tea bag then discard the tea bag).
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the chana masala, red chilli powder, mango powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes paste and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the chick peas and 1 cup of water and mix well. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. And set aside.
- Combine the flour, potato, 1 ½ teaspoons of oil and salt and knead into a firm dough without using any water. Knead the dough very well until it is smooth. Cover with a wet muslin cloth and rest the dough for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll out into circles of 125 mm. (5″) diameter.
- Deep fry in hot oil until the bhaturas puff up and both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot with the cholay, sliced onion and lemon wedges.
Tip: You can also add some spiced Potatoe cubes or Paneer Cubes. Simply shallow fry some Paneer cubes or Potate cubes and add them to Chole after cooking