Bhatura is a fried variety of Indian Breads. Bhatura is similar to Pooris, however Bhatura preparation is more elabroated, it uses Yeast.
- 5 cups white refined flour ( also known as Maida in Punjabi)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps ghee
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp yeast OR 1 tsp baking soda
- Sieve the flour and salt together.
- Mix the yeast with half a cup of luke warm water and keep aside for ten minutes.
- Mix the ghee (clarified butter) and the sugar with the flour.
- Add the yogurt and dissolved yeast or the baking soda.
- Add little more luke warm if necessary.
- Knead well until the dough becomes soft and pliable.
- Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for four hours.
- Heat the ghee in a frying pan.
- Make small balls and roll them, spread a little with your palms to make it bit elongated ( tear shaped) and fry in hot ghee until golden brown.
Serve hot with “Channa” also known as “Punjabi Choley” (chickpea curry).