Tadka Dal or Dal Tadka can use any Dal. Tadka is the tempering which is applied to the cooked Dal or any other dish.Â Tadka is a generic term which refers to adding the spices to the hot oil or Ghee and then adding this tadka into your dish.
- Moong Dal or Masoor Dal – 1.5 cups
- Turmeric – 1/4 tea spoon
- Green chillies – 3 or 4
- 1/2 tspn Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- Coriander chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Lime juice – 1 – 2 tsps
- Water 2 glasses
- Garam Masala 1 tablespoon
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 1 medium sized onion finely diced
For Tadka(Tadka is a generic term which refers to adding the spices to the hot oil or Ghee and then adding this tadka into your dish.)
- Jeera seeds (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsps
- Hing – a pinch
- Add the Dal with 2 Glasses of water and add the turmeric in it and then cook it in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes or so ( excessive cooking will make the dash like a paste)
If you do not have a pressure cooker then just take a sauce pan and cover it while cooking for 10 minutes on medium heat ( until the dal is cooked)
- Take a non stick pan add add the Ghee.
- Add the Cumin seeds and the mustard seeds.
- Once they start crackling add the Ginger and Garlic paste and fry.
- Add the onion and fry until it become brown.
- Add the green chillies.
- Add the Garam Masala and cook for a minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and let them cook until the oil separates.
- Add the cooked dal and add salt to taste.
- Let it simmer for 5 more minutes on slow heat.
- Take a small fry pan add 2 tablespoons of Ghee and add some red chilli powder and fry for a minute.
- Pour this on top of the Dal .
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve it with Naan, Rice or Roti