A mix of Chana Daal with or Gheeya is a nutritious and tasty Daal which can be cooked easily and can be served with Rice or Roti. Use a pressure cooker to cook it faster or use a slow cooker to retain the lovely flavours.
- Chana Daal 1 Cup
- Zucchini 1 – diced
- Tomato 1 – finely chopped
- Onion 1 – finely chopped
- Green Chillies 2 – finely chopped
- Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Ginger paste 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder 1/2 teaspoon( we are also using the Green chillies so adjust the red chilli according to your taste)
- Garam Masala 1teaspoon
- Dhania Powder 1 teaspoon
- Heeng 1 pinch
- Mustard Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Desi Ghee 1tablespoon
- Cooking oil 1 tablespoon.
- Salt as per taste
- Water 5 cups
- Green coriander leaves for garnish – 1 tablespoon
- Lime juice 1 tablespoon
- Wash and soak the Chana Daal in a mixing bowl for about an hour.
- Take the pressure cooker and put it on medium heat.
- Add the cooking oil.
- Add Mustard Seeds and stir well.
- Add Heeng Powder
- The moment you hear the crackling sound from the Mustard Seeds quickly add the onion.
- Cook the onion till golden brown.
- Add tomato and cook till the mixture is cooked well. you can see some oil coming out from the sides.
- Add the Turmeric ( we add it at the end as we do not want the turmeric to burn otherwise it will impart darker colour to the Daal)
- Add the Red Chilli Powder as well.
- Stir well for 2 minutes.
- Now add the Zucchini and stir well and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add Garam Masala and cook for a minute.
- Now add the soaked daaland add about 5 cups of water in it.
- Add the coriander powder.
- Put on the pressure lid and cook till you hear two whistles ( or for about 8 minutes).
- Switch off the heat and do not open the pressure cooker lid.
- After about an 30 minutes or so take the pressure cooker lid off.
- Check the consistency of the Daal, if it is too watery then cook it further on high heat for few minutes.
- Add some lime juice at the end.
- Garnish it with green chopped coriander.
Serve it with Rice or Roti. Add The Desi Ghee when serving it hot.
If using a Slow Cooker then cook everything in a fry pan till step 13 and then transfer the cooked mixture, Daal and water to the slow cooker and run it on high for about 5 hours or so.