Dal Makhni or Urad Dal or Maha Ki Dal tempered with Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Urad Dal (whole black beans)
- 1/2 cup red kidney beans (rajmah)
- 350-400 g whipping cream, chilled
- 4 tomatoes, pureed
- 6 garlic flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (zeera)
- red chili powder
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee ) or Butter
- Wash and soak the kidney beans and the dal together in huge bowl.
- If you see a scum or froth on the surface this is due to humid climatic conditions. Wash the dal thoroughly with water if this happens to avoid the sour taste of dal.
- Drain the dal in a pressure cooker; add finely chopped garlic. Salt to taste and red chili powder. Add enough water fill almost 2/3 of pressure cooker.
- Leave it on high for about 15 minutes, then slow down the flame for about 20 minutes. This simmering will help the dal thicken and cook properly.
- In the meantime, prepare the tempering (tadka).
- Heat oil in a wok. Add cumin; let it splutter but make sure it doesn’t burn. Add the purÃ©ed tomatoes. Let it simmer for about 4-5 minutes. When the tomatoes start leaving oil on the sides of the pan it means the tadka is ready.
- Add this steaming tadka to the dal and let it simmer for a while uncovered.
- When the dal thickens to the consistency you want (I usually let it simmer for about 10 minutes or more–we like really thick dal that can be poured on the plate that’s the actual consistency of dal makhani) add the cream; cook for 5 minute turn off the flame.
Serve with hot naan , Rice or paranthas.