Malai Kofta – Sift dumplings made from Potato and Paneer( or Mawa) mixture in a rich cream sauce
For making Gravy
- 125 gms. cream
- 75 gms. khoya or paneer
- 50 gms. cashewnuts
- 3 tsp. white pepper powder.
- 2 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. garlic crushed
- 1″ cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 6 cardamoms
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- Onion paste 1/2 cup
- Tomato puree 1 cup
For making Malai Kofta(dumplings)
- 50 gms. khoya
- 50 gms. paneer
- 5 medium potatoes
- 20 gms. cashewnuts
- 20 gms. raisins
- 4-5 green chillies chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp. ginger grated
- 1 tsp. coriander chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- salt to taste
1 tbsp. grated cheese or paneer
1 tbsp. chopped coriander
1. Boil the potatoes, peel andÂ mash them when cooled.
4. Flatten. Place 2-3 cashews and raisins in the center and shape into a ball (or a cylinder shape.)
5. Repeat for remaining dough. Keep aside.
6. Deep Fry these dumplings and keep aside to cool.
- Roast the cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves together.
- Dry grind and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a skillet, addÂ the spices which you have roasted and powdered in the above step.
- Add garlic paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Add onion paste and fry for 5-7 minutes stirring well.
- Once the onion paste has cooked and turned golden brown .
- AddÂ turmeric powder.
- Add red chilli powder.
- AddÂ the tomatoe puree.
- Cook until it starts leaving the oil.
- Add some water to reduce the consistency of gravy.
- Bring it to boil and reduceÂ the heat to minimum.
- Add the ginger paste now
- Let it simmer for about 15 minutes till the consistency of the gravy is just right. ( should not be very watery)
- Now add the koftas very gently and stil softly.
- Add salt as per taste.
- Let it simmer for another 5 minutes until the kofta have mixed well in the gravy.
- Add some cream
- Garnish with grated cheese and chopped coriander.
- Serve it with rice, roti or naan.
The koftas can also be baked in the grill instead of deep frying.
You can also freeze the koftas(dumplings) in the freezer and use them later.