Dum Alloo is originally a Kashmiri Dish. The small sized potatoes are deep fried and then cooked in a sauce on low heat. Different versions of this are cooked in each part of India.
- Potatoes small sized 8
- Oil 250 grams for frying
- Red Chilli Paste 1 teaspoon
- Red chiilies whole 4
- Garlic Paste 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Paste 1 tablespoon
- Jeera Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Tomato Puree 4 tablespoons
- Cinnamon Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Clove Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Saunf ( Fennel Seed) Powder 1.5 teaspoons
- 1 Onion medium sized , make a paste in a blender.
- Green Coriander finely chopped 1 tablespoon
- Water 1 cup
- Peel the potatoes and deep fry and keep aside. Do it on medium so that the potatoes are cooked well and do not get burnt. Keep aside.
- Now take a frying pan and add two tablespoons of oil
- Add the Red chillies and Garlic, Ginger paste
- Add Jeera Powder
- Add red chilli powder( optional)
- Add Saunf (Fennel Seed )Powder
- Add Cinnamon Powder
- Add Clove Powder
- Stir for few minutes
- Add the Onion Paste
- Let it cook for 5 minutes, till the onion paste is cooked.
- Add Tomato Puree and cook for 3 minutes
- Add water if needed. This is a semi dry recipe and does not need much gravy.
- Add the salt as per taste
- Now poke the potatoes a bit with fork and then put them in the gravy
- Now cover the pan and then let it cook on slow for 15 minutes
- Add the almond paste and stir for a minute.
Optionally Add some fresh cream while serving, garnish it with fresh coriander