Kale Chole or Kale Chane is a high protein food and is an excellent source of protein. I remember my mother preparing Kale Chole each saturday for dinner or lunch. You can have it with gravy or make a dry dish without gravy.
- Black Chole 1 Cup
- Onion finely chopped 1 large
- Tomatoes 2 finely diced
- Green Chillies 2 finely chopped
- Garlic Paste 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Paste 1 tablespoon
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds) 1 teaspoon
- Jeera Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Dhania Powder 1 teaspoon
- Yoghurt (Dahi) 4 tablespoons
- Red chilli Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1/2 teaspoon
- Tej Patta(Bay leaf) 1
- Salt as per taste
- Water 1 jug
- Oil for cooking – 4 tablespoons
Kale Chole needs to be soaked overnight if possible.
- Wash the Kale Chole
- Put it in the pressure cooker and add lots of water in it. (atleast 6 cups)- the water can be easily adjusted while cooking.
- Add salt in the water also, as this will help to soften the Kale Chole.
- Leave it overnight or for atleast 6-8 hours.
- Put the Cooker with the lid and whistle on and boil the Kale Chole for 20 minutes and then do not open the whistle, let them cook
- further under pressure.
- Let it cool down before opening.
- Meanwhile take a heavy bottomed pan and put it on medium heat.
- Put 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Add Jeera (Cumin Seeds) and stir for a minute.
- Add the Bay leaf.
- Add Garlic Paste and stir for a minute
- Add the finely chopped onions.
- Fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add the green chillies and stir for a minute
- Add diced tomatoes( you can add tomato puree as well by just blending the tomatoes)
- Now add Haldi, Turmeric
- Add one tablespoon of Dahi and stir for a minute until the Dahi is completely cooked and mixed well with the mixture
- Add the remaining Dahi ( one table spoon at a time) and stir well.
- Now add red chilli powder and stir for a minute.
- Add the Jeera Powder
- Add the coriander Powder
- Stir for a minute.
- Now you can put all this fried mixture into the pressure cooker which has the boiled Kale Chole
- Using a ladle mix it together
- Put the pressure cooker on medium flame (do not put the lid)
- Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes
- Reduce heat and let it cook for another 5 minutes.(Check if Kale Chole are fully soft).
- Sprinkle some Garam Masala and stir.
- Take it off the heat.
While serving sprinkle some finely chopped coriander leaves on top. Serve with rice or roti.
You can also add some butter or Ghee in Kale Chole while serving.