Dahi can be made at home quite easily. Though it is available in the market but that contains cream, gelatin and preservatives. Make it fresh at home you can use low fat milk as well
- 1 litre Milk
- 2 tablespoons spoon curd (yogurt)
- Boil the milk in a heavy sauce pan .
- Once it boils let it cool down a bit to a warm state.
- In a cup take some of this warm milk and add the yoghurt and stir it well.
- Place it in a warm place for overnight or for 5-6 hours at least. During the setting period do not move the container at all.
- Once it is done transfer the container to refrigerator.
- The home made yoghurt is much better than the commercial ones.
It is important that the container is not moved or stirred while the Dahi is setting up.
In colder weather it takes longer to form the yoghurt.
You can use a casserole which areÂ thermally insulated to keep the food warm.
There are yoghurt makers available in the markets , basically they are nothing but a container in which you put the mix of milk and the yoghurt and this container is put into another big container and you add the water in the bigger outer container so that the inner container remains warm.