Tamarind Chutney or Imli Chutney is great for savoury snacks like Samosa, Bread Pakora, Spring Rolls etc. The taste is sweet as Gur(Jaggery) is added. It is also called Mithi Chutney or (Sweet Chutney).
- 250 gms. tamarind (Imli)
- 2 cups sugar or (Gur) Jaggery 200 gramsÂ ( It needs a lot of sugar to subdue the tangy taste of Imli)
- Salt according to taste
- 1/2 tsp chili (Lal Mirch) powder
- Â½ inch piece of ginger (Adrak)
- Jeera (Cumin Seeds) 1 tablespoon
- Dry roast the Jeera seeds on a fry pan until they turn brown.
- Soak the imli in lukewarm water so that it softens.
- Rub well to remove the seeds.
- Strain out all the juice into a container.
- Put on low heat and bring to boil.
- Add Gur ( Jaggery( or sugar), salt and chili powder , roasted jeera seeds and keep stirring and cooking on low heat till it starts to become thick.
- A small piece of ginger can be added and later removed for an extra flavor.
- When desired consistency achieved remove from heat and allow to completely cool before storing in a jar with a lid.
TIP: Gur or Jaggery gives the best result for this chutney as it thickens it up .